Today is

Monday, June 09, 2014

Rock County Clerk Is Ready To Roll With Marriage Licenses To All Qualified Couples

BREAKING NEWS: Rock County Clerk Lori Stottler issued the following announcement regarding the issuance of marriage licenses.  The Rock County Clerk's office is located in the Rock County Courthouse, 51 South Main Street, Janesville, WI 53545.

From Clerk Stottler:

"Our office is open Monday - Friday between 8:00am and 4:30pm and we are prepared to issue marriage licenses to all qualified couples.

*****It is important to know that the Rock County clerk is NOT responsible for the legality of the marriage union and refunds will not be issued to applicants for ANY reason. Those applicants who do not marry prior to a legal action that a stay or an injunction of the current ruling of Judge Crabb could potentially lose rights to file a license with the Register of Deeds, making the marriage unrecognized by the State of WI. Applicants will be told upon presenting at the County Clerks office that they understand the ramifications and are willing to enter into application with this understanding*****

This is the law always - but I feel the need to reiterate to same sex couples due to the impending challenges they may face by moving forward in this unsettled environment.

1 - I can only issue licenses to residents of Rock County or out of state residents wishing to be married in Rock County (residency must be proven - Driver's license or mail, etc) 
2 - Apply in person - together between 8am and 4:30pm
3 - Bring with you a certified copy of your birth certificate (issued from the state or county with the raised seal. Not a hospital copy with your cute little feet on it!)
4 - Bring a photo ID and your Social Security number
5 - If either applicant was previously married, bring a copy of the final judgment of divorce, annulment or certified death certificate to prove how and when the last marriage ended. In Wisconsin it is unlawful for any person to marry until 6 months and 1 day after the date of granting a divorce.
6 - Applicants will be asked who will be performing the ceremony and are expected to provide the name, address and phone number of the wedding officiant.
7 - If a waiver is issued, applicants will be asked to pay $120 cash (95 + 25). Otherwise the application fee is $95 and can be paid in cash or check. A waiver would allow couples to take their license directly to an officiant and be married that day and file their license in the Register of Deeds without waiting the State waiting period.

I hope this is clear to those with questions."

via Fair Wisconsin

No comments:

Post a Comment