Today is

Saturday, February 16, 2008

Why Clinton Is My Choice

I’ll start this off by saying that I’m a big fan of Barack Obama’s. I’ve been waiting and wanting to hear something that would finally drive home my total support for him in the Democratic Primary and unfortunately, it hasn’t happened.

I carefully listened to his speech at Janesville GM three times!! and thought his statements were short of the necessary fundamentals that needed to be said. He had no answers for the jobs going overseas except for shifting tax breaks from ex-patriot companies to those companies willing to stay. He ridiculed Bill Clinton’s approval for H.W. Bush’s NAFTA which was fine with me, but he made no promise to terminate the agreement. He spoke how American workers must be ready for changes in a global environment, almost insinuating the necessity of...you guessed it...... more trade agreements, but that was about as far as he went. You don’t have to listen to Obama to hear about jobs going overseas, CEO’s getting paid more money in one day than what workers get in a year or find out the War On Iraq was wrong. You can get that right here on this blog and many others. There were several other issues he “reported” on, and because I don’t want to bash the guy, I’ll just say there was a clear lack of depth to his design.

His past remark drawing optimistic parallels to the Reagan presidency was an over-extension and an unnecessary remark showing a strange comprehension of the political landscape. For obvious reasons I just can’t believe that the support he seems to be picking up from Republicans in the primary will be there for him in the general election in November. And I don't understand why labor unions endorse him over HRC, without giving an explanation as to the reasons. And I don’t believe the polls that have him doing better than Hillary Clinton against John McCain. His talk about ending the partisan battles and going along just to get along with republicans has little real value. No serious person who wants change can talk about being on hand-shaking terms with Republicans after the damage they’ve done over the past 15 years. It’s a nice thing to hope for, but it takes two to tango this dance.

Now, I could easily ignore all of this and allow myself to get caught up in the Obamamania, but that would be too easy. The flip side to this is, I believe Barack Obama holds a lot of promise for the future, but I need to know and see a lot more about him than just some great and inspiring speeches.

Like all senators and congressmen, Hillary Clinton has made some mistakes but we can’t lose sight of the fact that she represents a new direction from the Republicans and that she is a little more seasoned than Obama to carry out real solutions. We know what we're getting with HRC and this election is too important too lose because we refused to kick the tires. For these reasons among others, I will be voting for HRC in the Democratic primary.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

If I was to vote in the Democratic Primary I'd go for Clinton too. The irony is Obama reminds me more of slick Willy than Hillary does. I really think if Obama gets in he will be Clinton (Bill) on steroids.

Personally the empty rhetoric of false hope is a big turn off to me. Maybe that was because I got caught up in it in 1992.

I also think you hit the nail on the head, in that some (much) of his support will not be with him in the general. Even if he does win, his base will be so right of center on the economic front, no meaningful reform will be possible.

The only hope I have with a Clinton is her base is left of center and she would have to shift in that direction.

Anonymous said...

"You don’t have to listen to Obama to...find out the War On Iraq was wrong."

Who should I listen to? McCain, Bush or Hillary Clinton?

Did she vote for the war? Was it expedient? Did Obama oppose the war before it started, when it was sold to us as a serious Iraq threat of WMD? Was that expedient?

When we needed Hillary most she folded. So maybe we don't need Obama to tell us war in Iraq was wrong, because its obvious. But when it mattered he told us it was wrong, and Hillary told us it was right. She voted for it.

So yeah, she's for solutions. But we're really just trying to solve problems she helped create.

Lou Kaye said...

Every senator except for Russ Feingold voted for the war and unfortunately, he's not running. Obama wasn't there of course, but I'd bet he would have voted for it based on the fact that as a senator, he could block funding it right now. Why hasn't he? Why continually vote for something you clearly know is wrong? That's worse than voting for something you clearly think is right.

Anonymous said...

As early as 2001 he was praising the job Rumsfeld would do as Defense Secretary.

Post a Comment