Today is

Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The 800 lb. Al Gore-rilla

It’s way too early to begin speculating on who the next president will be. I do like nearly all the democratic candidates, particularly Obama, Clinton, Edwards, Kucinich and Richardson but not necessarily in that order. Of course the real heavyweight in my book is the no longer stiff and uptight Al Gore. The increasingly hard hitting yet lovable former vice-president has the experience, has already been swift-boated and ridiculed (double-jeopardy?) and still has NOT ruled out running for president. Recent polls show him at 17% as a non-candidate! If he throws his hat in the ring, he will most likely double his popularity to 34% the very next day without saying another word.
Gore: I’m Not A candidate, but…:
...is fearlessly honest about President Bush in his new book, "The Assault on Reason," in which he claims that "the current White House has engaged in an unprecedented and sustained campaign of mass deception."

I watched the Nightline interview and he clearly left some wiggle room for the possibility of running in 2008. "Look, we're a year and half away from this election," Gore said, "[I] see no need to say, 'OK. I'm not ever going to even think about that in the future.'" The longer he waits, the less time Bush and his republicans party candidates will have to heal their self-inflicted wounds. So I don’t blame him for waiting for the right circumstances, but he’s got to make the decision by September to have an impact in the early caucuses.

Plus I really believe America is the kind of country that would want to return to him what we now know was rudely taken away from him – the presidency. I hope he runs.

No comments:

Post a Comment