Today is

Wednesday, November 09, 2016

One Passage Of Russ Feingold's Concession Speech Was Disappointingly Honest


If you've been following my blog for the past several years, you probably noticed that I was not blogging much or engaging in social discussion about Wisconsin political candidates or the election in general for the two months leading up to Tuesday.

I didn't write much because what I saw and understood were some very disturbing trends running hard against several key democratic candidates. What I saw in Wisconsin was a near duplicate replay of the last several election cycles that began in 2010.

For starters, I saw Russ Feingold's polling margin shrink from 11% to 9% to 7% to 5% to plus one or two points, to too close to call to eventually losing by three. I saw statement after statement on social media and ad after ad from the Johnson campaign against Feingold go either unanswered or with the wrong response. I saw messaging and ads from the Feingold campaign that, to me, with six years to prepare, were either off-topic from the issues, unexciting or just too soft for today's political climate.

In a nutshell, I saw a very good candidate and person in Russ Feingold much like Tom Barrett and Mary Burke - and with the same weak campaign. And, I couldn't write about my observations without doing potential damage to his campaign or giving away strategies. So there's that.

But one passage in Feingold's concession speech addresses a small part of what I saw in his campaign and a few others. It's an admission that unfortunately comes a little too late ...

Feingold Concession Speech Excerpt:
"I really wanted to get this done. But obviously there's something happening in this country, tonight ...I don't understand it completely. I don't think anybody does."

Sorry, but there are some who understand it completely. I'll leave it at that.

No comments:

Post a Comment