Today is

Wednesday, December 24, 2014

For The Holidays, Watch The Movie You're Not Supposed To See


I'll bet you're thinking the movie I'm recommending to see during the holidays is "The Interview." Sorry to disappoint. It's not.

Despite the national attention from media hounds and political opportunists professing their devotion to free speech after Sony revealed they were being blackmailed by cyber terrorists some believe to be the North Korean government, I for one don't see the entertainment or educational value in the supposed comedy. Believe me, I enjoy humor even when it's poked at me, but a tacky story about killing the dictator of North Korea doesn't melt my snowman during the Christmas season, if you know what I mean.

But if you want to get a sense of defying ruthless establishment authoritarians in the name of free speech, I recommend (stream or rent the DVD) the movie the real robber barons don't want you to see. The film, about the influence of money on American politics with an element of Scrooge behind the folks who attempted to censor it, was accepted by the Sundance Film Festival and competed for Best Documentary. It was also recently named to the shortlist of nominees for a Best Documentary Oscar.

The movie I recommend is "Citizen Koch." If anything it unravels the political maneuvering behind the US Supreme Court's ruling in Citizens United, explores the Koch brothers and the Wisconsin uprising. Citizen Koch is non-fiction and at least you won't be rooting for murder.

Watch the trailer:



ADDITIONAL:

Salon - The Movie About Our Sick Democracy PBS Tried To Kill

1 comment:

Sun Dry said...

Movies definitely impact the youth. Though some young people are hit worse by http://www.ranker.com/list/liam-neeson-movies-and-films-and-filmography/reference who have not had ample time to develop the brain capacity to evaluate the actual consequences of their actions.

Post a Comment