Today is

Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Woods Degenerate Lifestyle a Rand Hallmark

There’s nothing wrong with a personal celebration of one's own individualism. It's part of who we are and why should always strive to be our own person. Who in their right mind would want to live somebody else?

But, after listening to Tiger Woods apology, the first thought I had was about the half-baked, narcissistic psycho-babble and sophomoric fairy tales written by nazi-conservative hero Ayn Rand. And how someone like Woods had proved that a pathological love of money driven by Rand based distortions of individualism above all others, in practice - eventually leads to a degenerate lifestyle and personal destruction.

Yet there are some who countered in defense that Wood's only downfall was that he got caught.
CNN Transcript:
"I want to say to each of you, simply, and directly, I am deeply sorry for my irresponsible and selfish behavior I engaged in….

I know people want to find out how I could be so selfish and so foolish.

I knew my actions were wrong. But I convinced myself that normal rules didn't apply. I never thought about who I was hurting. Instead, I thought only about myself. I ran straight through the boundaries that a married couple should live by. I thought I could get away with whatever I wanted to. I felt that I had worked hard my entire life and deserved to enjoy all the temptations around me. I felt I was entitled. Thanks to money and fame, I didn't have far -- didn't have to go far to find them. I was wrong. I was foolish. I don't get to play by different rules. The same boundaries that apply to everyone apply to me. I brought this shame on myself.
At the CPAC convention, Fox News stooge and political reprobate Glenn Beck twisted this statement by Woods into a lesson against "entitlements." Nice try.

Still, folks who think with their brains immediately drew the parallels with Woods and Rand.
Decateur News Online Excerpt:
Concerning Rand, Woods and your Sociopath Neighbor
To Rand a man must above all do what benefits himself, and society will have to be a product of just that ethical standpoint. Her opinion on ethics concludes with a statement that could also be used to describe a sociopath: "The pursuit of his own rational self-interest and of his own happiness is the highest moral purpose of his life."

This explanation reveals that Woods is just another modern successful businessman with extravagant tastes and habits. But another explanation is that he is an individual who wanted only the ideals of a wife and children, and had no intention of refraining from pursuing his own self-interest and happiness. If this is the case then, considering his use of other people and wantonness, he seems to fit the description of Rand's moral man and a sociopath; an extremely rich and powerful, obsessed-with-winning, sex-addicted, domineering sociopath.
One merely needs to look at Wood's life driven by a relentless and selfish pursuit to personal greatness at any costs -- was full of fractured and deceitful relationships, personal unhappiness, and a disintegration of his circle of friends, supporters, and sympathizers -- to understand how wrong it is to practice Rand's fictional brand of inhumanely cold and deviate individualism in the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment